Tuesday, March 06, 2007

I've always had an aversion to them. They're just abrasive. And always so lame. Aside from this, it's still such an ambiguous feeling of distaste for me. There's never been a definitive or identifiable reason. Why do they bother me so much??

And this morning a perfect analogy dawned on me. As I walked past a run down old jalopy with a plate that read "tinfly" I thought to myself, 'Tinfly? What does that even mean? I see that it's most likely made of tin...but there's no way that this car can fly?'

Ack. I DO NOT CARE.

And then it came to me: Vanity plates are like those people that insist on engaging in an inside joke when with a group of people who aren't all included in said joke. It's just rude. We all know the type. Inevitably they're the people that need to be the center of attention and are feeling a little left out or are just plain not interested in the current conversation. So they latch on to each other and start whispering about "Pencil Guts" or something equally nonsensical. And of course rounds of the most overdone laughs and knee slaps/foot stamps ensue.

I have to admit I have been this person. Sometimes you just can't help it. But at least recognize that I'm being obnoxious.

In the same way an inside joker must communicate that they are indeed hilarious, albeit not currently, these vanity platers must let everybody know that they too have made a big enough impact in some part of their life to warrant a sign that speaks of it.

In a related story, my dad tried to buy me a new VW Volkswagen when I got accepted to Pratt for photography. I flat out refused after he insisted that my new ride would have vanity plates that read "shtrbug".

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home