Monday, December 18, 2006

It's been a minute.


And I feel that it may be many more minutes due to holiday madness. Whew! Is anyone else feeling the pressure!!??! It's been a stressful, busy one. But I really am not minding it. It's part of the season. Things are supposed to be difficult this time of year.

You may be asking, "Stephanie, how are you handling the holidays with such grace?!?!"

(I highly doubt that you were actually asking that.)

Well, I saw a man on the subway the other day when I was pretty close to throwing my purchases on the tracks and offering up a big HIT THE ROAD to the holiday season. But, this man made me realize, in a really roundabout way, that the only way certain things can be interesting or even worthwhile, is if they're difficult.

Now, you're probably expecting some sort of story of an amputee hobo with a heart of gold. No. All this guy did was tie his shoes..but he did so in the most ass-backwards, complicated way possible that left me completely agog.

So he gets on the train, which is empty and so, consequently, has many seats to offer. However, instead of sitting down, he decides to lean against the door. Odd. But still perfectly acceptable.
As the train pulls away (we're on the 6 by the way, leaving from Astor place, so there's plenty of turns and jerks), he pulls his leg up behind him, as one would do in gym class to stretch.
So he gets his foot as high up on his butt as possible. Which was quite impressive because, mind you, this was not a scrawny guy. Dude is large and in charge. I'm still a little boggled as to how he got his foot so high.

Anyways. So, in this position, with the car rocking like crazy and with eyes ceremoniously closed, he proceeded to tie his shoe. Of course.

At this moment I actually removed my earphones, as if doing so would help me understand the situation.

It sort of did. Although weird as all hell, it was strangely meditative. Here I was freaking out about all the shopping and the parties and the time and money constraints that have been rained down upon me (woe is me), and here comes this guy who has nothing better to do than make simple things difficult for him. He could've just as easily sat down and tied his shoe, but that would be boring! Why not make it interesting.

Now, the correlation that I've formed between my holiday stress and this man's freestyle shoe tying is tenuous at best. But regardless of whether it makes sense, it made me realize that this is sort of what the holidays are now. I'm not a 5-year-old waiting around for my play station. I'm a big girl now, and if I can't find the fun or at least the novelty in my newfound adult holiday role, what good is the season at all? I'm not going to seek out the easy way anymore. That's just setting myself up for disappointment. If I just go after the hard way, then there's not one thing that can blindside me.

MAN. I can not believe I haven't figured this out before.

So, if you need me don't look on Easy St.

xoS

P.S. Have the happiest and most blessed holidays. Tell everyone you love that you do. 'Tis the season.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home