Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Although there has been no barrage of questions, I figure I shouldn't let that slow the roll that is blogging.

Even if there isn't a specific question that I'm answering, I'll offer up what's been swimming in my head.

I recently bought the complete series of The Wonder Years on DVD (I know) and I've been watching young Kevin go through some pretty tough stuff. He actually brings up some interesting points that I know I went through. I mean, my voice never dropped or anything like that, but there are some universal points there.
In particular dear Kevin said last night "Eighty-four was about as incomprehensible to me as say, twenty-four and one hundred and four. I mean, what does that mean?". This was in response to an aunt who died at 84 and his trying to understand what living that long meant.
I think about this all the time. When I was little I had this idea of "adult". I guess my vision was around mid-twenties or so...basically me now, but now that I'm here, not me at all. I didn't really know what that age was about, but it was there and there I was. I was always on the phone, my hair was in a bun, and I always had a pencil skirt and shoulder pads on. I was an adult.
His line rang so clear and right to the core. It made me realize that my visions are still pretty vague. I look at 34 and I see myself on the phone, sans bun, pencil skirt, and shoulder pads, with the addition of a baby on my hip. Incidentally, that's what 44 looks like too.
My point being, when can we really bring the future into focus? Does everyone think of this? Am I alone here? I assume that the more I live, the more it will take the shape I would like it to and the less my predictions will be off (shoulder pads?! did I really think that was a lasting trend?).
I guess it just shows me that 24 years isn't enough time to set it all up and put on the cruise control. Did I ever really believe that it would be though?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home