Monday, November 05, 2007

I went over a month, but the thing is that I'm trying to suck at this point.

SUCCESS.

I was waiting for the bus the other night and I was privy to something that has furthered my division of whether there's an actual difference in the sexes. The story goes, I was around 4 or 5 a.m. and I was waiting at the Jay St./Fulton Mall stop on the B54 and although I'm not sure exactly where it is, there's a lesbian club right around there. I regularly see a rather high number lesbian couples making out in the wee hours at this stop.

Anyways, I guess the club had just let out cause there was a couple waiting for the bus, making out up against a closed up shop, periodically causing the the roll-down gate to bang loudly. Weird already. Not because they were lesbians, but it was just too much for anyone to be doing in the out of doors...especially when there's someone standing about 4 feet from you...gawking like an idiot.

So as I'm cursing my iPod for breaking earlier that week, I'm delivered a reason to thank the heavens that it did break: they come up for air and one says to the other, "Girl, you taste like cherries. Were you kissing so-and-so earlier?"

OH SHIT!

Ok let's back up here. I failed to fully set the scene. There's an amazing phenomenon among black and puerto rican butch lesbians in NY: THEY'RE SO ATTRACTIVE.
This doesn't happen anywhere else in the whole world. Period. Argue with me. I dare you. Every other butch lesbian I've ever seen looks like a gym coach. A male gym coach. And it's quite possibly the worst look ever.

But this group of women, although they are dressed masculinely, understand the key point of STILL BEING ATTRACTIVE no matter what gender your choose to be. If I were to run around as a man you better believe I would not be donning a Reebok track suit or some khaki pants and a polo. No no no.

The lady that remarked about the suspicious cherry taste happened to be one such lesbian. It goes without saying her femme counterpart was ridiculous. The kind of lesbian that makes men weep.

So that being all set up, here's how the rest of this conversation went down.

"No. What are you talking about? But also how would you know she tastes like cherries? You know I saw you last weekend together. Don't try to tell me anything. You just played yourself out. I wasn't even gonna say anything but you're just stupid."

"You're crazy girl. I love you. That wasn't me. Who said that was me?"

"No don't even start. I saw you. That was you. I saw you up there, she was sitting on you all over your neck and you didn't see me cause you were too busy."

And so forth.

All I could think here was OH MY GOD it's not a man or woman thing! Not that I ever solidly believed it was, but this confirms it. Butch lesbians lie and cheat just like men! And I don't mean they are guilty of the act, I mean they do it in exactly the same way. Amazing. They're dumb as hell about it, they deny it in the face of cold, hard facts, and they always pull the I love you/you're crazy card out first.

I mean, the woman was already making out with you! Why lie!? She didn't even seem mad about it, but no, didn't matter. She went right on ahead lying for at least the next 15 minutes.

So it's just people. People are either shitty or not. As I said, I am of two minds on the whole relationship dynamic. And of course, in classic me style, the two minds are on completely different ends of the spectrum and yet I find a way to bring them together. (I'm telling you, I MUST get to the Middle East.)

On the one hand we have the idea that men and women are completely different. Couldn't be less alike! This is how I reconcile when I just cannot follow a man's line of thinking. I figure, hey, I don't pull out my hair when I can't understand a conversation in Japanese. I don't know one word. Why get upset when I can't follow it?

Same thing.

But on the other hand, we're all human beings and have all had a relatively similar upbringing in the grand scheme of things. This convo proves the later argument.

There has been an empire built upon the idea that men and women are fundamentally different, but really, I think I'm going to call bullshit. I mean yes, I will have to say that perhaps there are some different ways of thinking and perceiving that may fall into a more masculine or a more feminine category, but I just don't buy into the idea that one gender would be more predisposed to acting a certain way or having certain habits.

Nope. After witnessing this exchange I have to say that I just don't really buy "Men Are From Mars...", etc. etc. Maybe a better way to put it is that "Men are from Canada, Women are from Mexico"?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home